• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

difference between unprotected sex and sharing needels

dawndoctor

Bluelighter
hey, sorry mods if this is the wrong place, i wasn't sure where to post but being an Aussie...
i am a ocasional needle user, not currently addicted to anything but alchahol and benzo's.
I have been seeing a girl for a while now and we have unprotected sex, she has had blood tests done, and she is clean, as i asumme i am to.. now if i was to share a nedle with her, would this be 'safe'. It would never happen because i am a firm beleiver in one hit, one needle(i love the feeling off fresh sharps)
but whilst my mind wondered around today i was currious about the similarities, comparisons between unprotected sex and sharing needles. i must add that i know sharing needels with anyone is a stupid idea and should not be done.

thanks for the move, wasnt sure where it should go... any advice or information anyone?

If you're both certified 'clean' then it shouldn't be a problem, I've known couples who have, but I'd imagine that sharing needles is going to have a higher risk profile than unprotected sex. You should probably still practice 'safe' sharing practices, ie. bleaching etc though, better safe than sorry imo.

she has had blood tests done, and she is clean, as i asumme i am to..

I would strongly advise that its best not to assume anything, HIV and viral Hepatitis largely continue to proliferate because people make assumptions - though I won't get on a soap box about it, as my only incurable addiction is to unprotected sex.

Sharing a needle with an AIDS/Hep C positive person (or being positive and sharing with someone who isn't) is perhaps more likely to spread the virus than a bareback root. Anal and savage BDSM are a higher risk too :\ But as we are talking about oppertunities for a fatal virus to enter your body, or for you to give it to someone else, does whether its a 50% risk or a 70% risk really make a difference in the decision making?

Well for one thing, one involves a needle and the other involves sex. Jeez.
But also, sexual intercourse doesn't exchange blood like needles do.

I would strongly advise that its best not to assume anything, HIV and viral Hepatitis largely continue to proliferate because people make assumptions - though I won't get on a soap box about it, as my only incurable addiction is to unprotected sex.

Sharing a needle with an AIDS/Hep C positive person (or being positive and sharing with someone who isn't) is perhaps more likely to spread the virus than a bareback root. Anal and savage BDSM are a higher risk too :\ But as we are talking about oppertunities for a fatal virus to enter your body, or for you to give it to someone else, does whether its a 50% risk or a 70% risk really make a difference in the decision making?

I agree. A lot of people wind up Poz or with Hep C because they think that a negative test at the time means that the person is negative when they are really Poz but show up as being neg on tests as it can take up to 6 months to show someone being poz if they have HIV. Also there's a small percentage of the population that does not produce HIV antibodies when they are poz and only a viral load test will show them as having HIV.

You should both get tested and then get tested again 6 months later to make sure you are both negative for HIV.

ALL sex carries some risk.

dawnDr-If you want to remain HIV neg don't have unprotected sex even with women, and do not share needles.

You yourself said how you actually prefer using a brand new needle, keep it like that if you decide to IV.

It's not a good habit to get into sharing needles. I have a friend that once did IV and did share works/rigs but they did not get HIV or any type of Hepatitis but they're lucky and they told me how getting into the habit of sharing needles was a mistake since then whenever they were around someone who had dope and was IVing it and they didn't have a new needle they'd share it.

Last edited:
I agree. A lot of people wind up Poz or with Hep C because they think that a negative test at the time means that the person is negative when they are really Poz but show up as being neg on tests as it can take up to 6 months to show someone being poz if they have HIV. Also there's a small percentage of the population that does not produce HIV antibodies when they are poz and only a viral load test will show them as having HIV.

This is true. Also, a guy has a small chance of getting HIV from a woman through vaginal sex. I didn't believe this for the longest time, then I did research. I'm assuming that if you share a needle with an HIV+ person, you're almost gauranteed to get the virus yourself.

please don't share needles

*never* share needles. Having unprotected sex is also a very risky thing, however, sharing a needle is almost a sure way to get an STD (if the person who used it before had one or more).

Using bleach to kill the HIV virus can work if you do it right (let it sit in there for a while), but it's inconclusive if it will kill Hep C.

It's not worth it to IV if you can't use a brand new needle each time.

I'm not an expert on the matter, but my doctor told me that he is yet to see a case of Hep C that was the result of sex, and not sharing needles. So at least for Hep C sharing needles is the main way it is transmitted.

For HIV, vaginal sex is alot safer than anal sex. For anal sex the risk is quite high, vs. vaginal sex where I think it is like 1/300 chance of it been transmitted. However, if you are regularly having unprotected sex with your partner and either of you have HIV then there is a good chance you will eventually transmit it. I imagine sharing needles with a HIV positive person has a high risk of transmission.

You assume you are clean of STDs? Go get yourself checked. In Australia there are free clinics set up where you can get a full test. Remember alot of STDs come with no symptoms, but you can still carry it.

I personally get a full check up every year, just for peace of mind.

yep... my junkie ex was hep C (it came out), and although we ended up having shitloads of sex rubber-free, I never got the disease. thank god. oddly enough he managed to teach me a few sanitary IV practices, I suppose he had found out the hard way with what to not do :p